Oftentimes, the fireplace is one of the best gathering spots during the cold winter months. It offers comfort and warmth to everyone around it. However, your chimney requires regular cleaning, just like any other place in your house.
Regular cleaning of your chimney can help get rid of soot, creosote, and other debris that can affect the health of you and your loved ones. Today, we’re going to share with you how an unclean chimney can make your family sick. Make sure you hire a company that offers high-quality chimney sweeping, such as cheminée à trois-rivières.
The dust, dirt, and other debris that your dirty chimney accumulates can expose you and your loved ones to different allergens. These allergens can lead to respiratory problems. This is particularly true if that person has COPD, asthma, allergies, and other chronic respiratory or lung conditions.
Aside from that, the chimney might also contain bacteria and mold. An unclean chimney attracts pests such as mice and rats as well. A strong wind gust can blow these harmful particles inside your house. It can lower the air quality indoors and possibly exposing your loved ones to dangerous contaminants.
Skin and Eye Irritation
Some of the ash, soot, creosote, smoke, and other contaminants might flow into your living space whenever you’re using a dirty chimney. This can result in irritation in the skin and eyes. Aside from that, it can also be harmful to the skin, leading to chemical burns or rashes. Inhaling sooty and smokey air can also irritate your lungs, throat, and nose. It can lead to respiratory problems.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
If you want to guarantee that the fumes and smoke have a clear exit, you need to hire an expert chimney sweeping company to regularly clean your fireplace. Professionals recommend you clean your chimney once every year. It isn’t unusual for tiny critters such as squirrels, bats, and birds to create nests inside your chimney. Aside from that, wind can blow twigs, leaves, and other debris inside the flue. This is particularly true if the chimney cap is missing or damaged.
The small debris and animal nests can obstruct the flue. This can lead to increased carbon monoxide levels leaking inside your house. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be extremely hazardous to people. Signs of Carbon monoxide exposure include fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and headaches. If ignored, it can result in organ failure, unconsciousness, and even death.
Exposure to Creosote
For those who don’t know, the distillation of tars in fossil fuels and wood produces creosote. It’s a natural by-product. This flammable, tarry, and oily residue will keep on collecting in the chimney if you don’t clean it regularly.
According to professionals, it’s dangerous to have a chimney that has more than 1/8 inches of creosote. You have to remove it as soon as possible. There are a lot of side effects if you’re exposed to creosote. This includes respiratory problems, abdominal pains, eye irritation, and much more.